- 4 large smoked Eastern European country sausages (available in Polish shops and Eastern European markets)
- 150 gms dried butter beans or a large tin of butter beans
- 1 medium onion peeled and roughly diced
- 100mls passata (sieved tomato)
- 100gms blanched and shredded kale
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika (if unavailable sweet will do)
- Salt and ground black pepper
- A pinch of sugar
- Oil of your choice for cooking.
If using dried beans soak them in 3 times their volume of water for 24 hours. After soaking cook them for 2 hours in a covered pot on a low heat…. making sure they do not dry out (top up with fresh water) and checking that they are tender and not gritty. Drain and reserve. If using tinned beans just drain them well. Heat a heavy based pot on a low heat and slowly cook the diced onion in a little oil until they are translucent but not browned. Add the passata the sugar and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the paprika stir in well. Add the beans and kale and slowly cook until the kale has softened. Stir occasionally making sure that the beans do not burn.
Heat a cast iron frying pan on a medium heat. Add enough oil to fry the smoked sausages. Add the sausages and turn down the heat and slowly fry the sausages until they cooked and well browned. Pile the sausages on top of the cooked beans and devour.